Tuesday, January 14, 2014

It Clings like Saran Wrap

I have never understood it when people say that cats are aloof.  I guess maybe they have never actually owned a cat or only ever shared their home with a cat who was an independent spirit. Since we have quite a few cats, I can accurately state that no two of them actually have the same personality. Not all cats are lap cats, but those who are often sometimes become almost overwhelming. I say this as I am actually typing this with a cat (Zeus) laying half in my lap and half on the laptop.  I adore Zeus and by all accounts he feels the same way about me, but sometimes he actually becomes oppressive in his affection.  No matter what I am trying to do, if I am sitting or reclining Zeus is all over me, often doing the cat dance many refer to as making muffins. No matter how many times I detach him and put him on the floor he immediately reappears. 

As much as I am overwhelmed by Zeus, Michael “enjoys” the lion’s share of attention from the cats.  Ghost, Sunny, Aphrodite, Jack, Hades, and sometimes even Athena covet Michael’s lap. Lately our little black female feral Hades has been driving him crazy.  She has only recently become trusting enough to venture onto his lap and it is as if she is making up for lost time. She wants to be in his lap all the time and actually gets angry when she is not allowed.   Michael is a writer so he simply can’t work with her sitting on the keyboard of his laptop. She actually sits on the end table and slashes at his hand when he tries to use the mouse to show her displeasure at his lap being occupied by his laptop or, heaven forbid, one of the other cats. Once she is on his lap if he so much as moves a leg or scratches she gets off in a huff glaring at him and growling. My stance on this is that he has created a monster and that some boundary setting is in order. But then like I said before Zeus is in my lap right now. 



No comments:

Post a Comment